Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Winnipeg Parking Authority
The Parking Store

Contractor Permit Program

Contractor permits

Permits for Contractors who wish to park on a City of Winnipeg time restricted non-metered street for longer than the posted maximum or wish to park in an alley while providing contractor services are now available and will become effective the day of purchase. All other regulations and by-laws remain in effect.

A "contractor" means in the business of providing a carpentry, plumbing, gas fitting, roofing, electrical or other contractor service relating to the construction, renovation, repair, landscaping or maintenance of real property.

It is the policy of the WPA that any and all outstanding fines and charges where the City is entitled to take collection proceedings must be paid in full prior to the issuance of a parking permit.

  • A single permit may be issued for both a truck and a trailer combination.
  • If you have more than 1 trailer, you may register up to 2 additional trailers for an annual fee per each additional trailer.
  • The permit will allow the vehicle(s) to be parked in excess of the posted time restriction on residential streets.
  • The permit will allow the vehicle(s) to be parked in an alley but does not allow the vehicle(s) to obstruct.
  • The permit is not transferable between customers. The permit will be sold to whoever is covering the cost of the permit, which must either be the applicant or the registered owner of the vehicle.
  • The permit does not exempt the holder from obeying all other posted traffic and parking regulations including payment at paid parking locations, and paid parking max times.
  • The permit includes a limitation of parking on the same block face for more than 48 consecutive hours; this includes parking in an alley.

For full terms and conditions please see the Contractor Permit Application.

Applying for a permit

The ability to apply and renew Contractor Permits online is available. Permits can also be applied for by attending our office during regular business hours. Please see below for the documentation we will require at the time of application. All applications are subject to approval.

Form ➤ Contractor Permit Application- Available to  

Payment accepted by Credit Card for online applications (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover or Visa Debit); upon review of a submitted application, a Parking Representative will be in contact to process payment.

Required Documentation

If the vehicle is registered to the Company:

  • Valid vehicle registration for each vehicle/trailer that requires a permit; and
  • Proof of ownership (Annual Return of Information would be sufficient); or
  • If you are not the owner of the Company and are applying on behalf of the Company, a letterhead from the company stating the applicant can purchase the permit on behalf of the company. In this case the permit would be sold to whoever is covering the cost of the permit itself.

If the vehicle is registered to you:

  • Valid vehicle registration for each vehicle/trailer that requires a permit; and
  • If the vehicle is registered in your name and not a company name, you will need to provide a letter on company letterhead stating you are providing home repair services and the vehicle is being utilized for contractor services within the City of Winnipeg; or
  • Other evidence that the vehicle is being used for the provision of contractor services such as Business Registration papers.


Contractor Permit:

For current rates please refer to the Fee Schedule. The fee is non-refundable.

New applicants:

The cost of a new permit will be pro-rated by month to equal the amount left in the year.

Current Permit Holders:

All renewals will be charged at the full annual rate.

Changes to Your Vehicle Information

Your licence plate will act as your permit. These permits are Virtual; you will not receive a physical permit to display. Only one support vehicle and one trailer will be allowed per permit unless a fee is paid to add extra trailer(s), up to a max of 3 trailers total. If you update your licence plate you must fill out a form and submit the vehicle registration along with the licence plate update form.

Form ➤ Licence Plate Update Form - Available to  

Note: After hour submissions will be processed the following business day.

In the event a penalty notice has been issued after submitting the plate change request, please have the registered vehicle owner submit a request for screening.

Where to Go

All Types of Permits Hours

495 Portage Avenue

Hours of Operation
Last update: February 26, 2024

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.